HHCK is a charity and as such depends solely on donor funding. Over the years of our operation we have journeyed with friends who believe in what we are doing. These are individuals through the kindness of their hearts have supported HHCK through thick and thin. Despite the constraints of Covid-19 they have stood with us and we are highly grateful.
In the USA we are registered as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization.
We encourage more friends to come on board as our organization grows. Every coin counts. You may not change the whole world but you can change the world of one person.
Since its inception, HHCK has made significant strides towards fulfilling its mandate. We have done many services including the below
- Establishment of a contact office in Nairobi, to serve the people of the slums and the streets
- Established a Rescue Centre for street children in Nairobi. We rescue, rehabilitate, reintegrate and re-socialize street children. Full support from street to sustainability, stability and financial security
- Sent many children to attain primary, secondary and university schools. Most of these children would have been deprived of any educational opportunities without our intervention.
- Started Policy Dialogue groups (Self-Help Groups) among women in the slums and rural areas. The women do savings during their weekly meetings
- Job placement for young people
- Removed families from slums, training them and resettled them
- Established an education department within the organization supporting many children through school
- Established a strong network of partners to help us in delivery of service
- Bought 4 acres of land in Transmara, Narok County, for our rehabilitation activities. We have also acquired an acre of land in Kajiado County, near Nairobi, which is currently being developed
- Built a residential facility in Transmara
- Designed permaculture farms that provide organic vegetables and fruits
- Planted thousands of trees
- Trained adults in farming techniques for sustainability
- Created workshops/empowerment programs
- Medical support
Meet Our Team
Board of Directors
(aka Raymond Stein)
Swami Padma is founder of the From Hand to Hand organization.
Although he was born and raised in Johannesburg, South Africa he has lived abroad most of his life. He holds a science degree obtained from the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and is a trained spiritual teacher spending almost his entire life serving humanity through the propagation of classical yoga. Prior to arriving in Kenya in 2013 he directed/co-directed International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers worldwide since 1974. Feeding and empowering people in developing countries has been an innate goal of his for more than 30 years.
John Aondo Ombasa
John is executive director at HHCK and is involved with coordination of the implementation of the project. He holds a BA in Social Sciences from Uganda Martyrs University. He has qualifications in counseling for young people, children, women and alcoholics. He has managed various development projects in the NGO world, and also has many years of experience working in the business world.
His experience has seen him work with destitute families in the streets of Jinja city, Uganda as well as with refugees who fled the conflict in Southern Sudan and Northern Uganda (2004-2005). He journeyed with them and had most of them reunited with their families
He took part in an exercise of mapping and profiling the street children of Nairobi and presented a report to the government through AMREF organization. Besides, he has been engaged in rescue, rehabilitation and the reintegration of children from the streets of Nairobi. More than 1000 children have been reached courtesy of his efforts. He has worked with people living in the slums of Nairobi as director of Diverse Generation Welfare Association, and has helped them cope with hardships by providing solutions to some of their challenges.
Rose has experience working with women and young people in the slums. She has also worked with street families in Nairobi. Her experience in the car repair and mobile money industries adds a lot of value to the work of Hand to Hand Community Kenya. She holds a diploma in Business Administration and Information Technology.
Benson Makori Obiri
Benson Makori is a Kenyan citizen and married. He has a career in International Relations and Diplomacy from Kenya Polytechnic University College. He holds a degree in theology from International Bible Institute and Seminary, and other studies in entrepreneurship, counseling, social work and community development. Benson has vast experience in the business world, farming, the motor vehicle industry, management in organizations, a church pastor, a mentor and a workshop facilitator.
Eric has been living at the HHCK farm in Kilgoris since its inception in February 2014. He manages the agricultural aspects. He has contributed significantly in spreading the knowledge of organic farming and permaculture to the local community. He holds a diploma in business administration and took part in the permaculture design course led by USA teachers Jared and Lala in 2014. For the period 2010-2014 he volunteered with Diverse Generation Welfare Association (DIGWA) to work with orphans and vulnerable children in the slums of Mukuru, Nairobi, enabling him to gain valuable experience in interaction and counseling.
CPA James Kimeu is the Managing Partner and founder of James Kimeu and Associates. Certified Public Accountants (K) with high standards of excellence and professionalism in accounting and finance career and is currently finalizing Master of Business Administration (Strategic Management) in Kenyatta University. He is a holder of Bachelor of commerce - Finance - second class honors, upper division from The Catholic University of East Africa. and has over 8 years’ experience in Accounting, Auditing, Finance and strategic management. He has a wealth of Auditing & Accounting experience having worked in various capacities in three of the respected Auditing Firms and has served clients in a wide range of sectors which includes Hospitals, Religious institutions, Construction, Education institutions, Hotels, Manufacturing, Retail, Professional services among other sectors. Interior Designer